SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team won its first dual match of the season on Friday, defeating Stonehill College, 5-2.
Coach Cilli's Quote
"A little bit of a nervous start but once we got moving, we picked up momentum. All 10 players were a part of the first match of the year."
How it Happened
- The Bulldogs swept the doubles point with three decisive victories. Freshmen Yasemin Boru (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Sarah Hickey (Toronto, Ont.) won at No. 1, 6-4, sophomores Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) and Caterina Luisa Rokke (Oslo, Norway) won at No. 2, 6-2, and Carolina Betancourt (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico) and Leanne Kendall (Lakeville, Mass) won at No. 3, 6-3.
- Bryant also won each of the top four singles matches on Friday. Oropeza won at No. 1, Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) won at No. 2, junior Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) won at No. 3 and junior Gabrielle Bergeron (Quebec, Canada) won at No. 4.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant handed Stonehill, the No. 45 ranked DII program in the country, it's first loss of the season.
- Oropeza was playing at the No. 1 singles spot for the first time in her career.
- Bryant used all 10 players on its roster during the match.
No. 1 – Boru/Hickey (BRY) def. Porter/Hammond (STO), 6-4
No. 2 – Oropeza/Rokke (BRY) def. Vo/Ormesher (STO), 6-2
No. 3 – Betancourt/Kendall (BRY) def. Ray/Downey (STO), 6-3
No. 1 – Oropeza (BRY) def. Porter (STO), 6-4, 6-2
No. 2 – Tan (BRY) def. Vo (STO), 6-4, 6-1
No. 3 – Gottlieb (BRY) def. Ormesher (STO), 6-0, 6-4
No. 4 – Bergeron (BRY) def. Hammond (STO), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
No. 5 – Markaryan (STO) def. Bergeron (BRY), 7-6 (4), 0-6, 10-4
No. 6 – Downey (STO) def. Pollock (BRY), 6-0, 6-3
The Bulldogs will send a selected group of student-athletes to the ITA Northeast Regionals next week in New Haven, Conn.