SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team won five of the six singles matches to defeat Brandeis, 5-2, on Saturday night at Rally Point.
Bryant 5, Brandeis 2
Records: Bryant (3-1), Brandeis (0-1)
Coach Cilli's Comments
"A lot of close matches last night. I am happy we came away with the win because Brandeis doesn't give anything away. I am disappointed that we didn't close out the doubles point. We had our chances and let them slip by. That's a big area of improvement for us. In singles, we worked hard. A lit of what we worked on during the week came through when we needed it."
How it Happened (Doubles)
- The Judges picked up the doubles point by winning all three matches. They won 6-4 at No. 1, 7-5 at No. 2 and 7-6 at No. 3.
- At No. 3, Caterina Luisa Rokke (Oslo, Norway) and Leanne Kendall (Lakeville, Mass.) went to a tiebreak, falling 8-6.
How it Happened (Singles)
- Sarah Hickey (Toronto, Ont.) got things going at No. 1 with a straight-set victory and the Bulldogs never looked back.
- Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.), Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) and Kendall also won in straight sets.
- Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) earned a hard-fought three-set victory at No. 3 to complete Bryant's strong performance.
No. 1 – Hickey (BRY) def. Dehterevich (BRA), 6-4, 6-4
No. 2 – Oropeza (BRY) def. Leavitt (BRA), 6-3, 6-3
No. 3 – Tan (BRY) def. Khromchenko (BRA), 6-4, 6-7 (8-6), 10-5
No. 4 – Gottlieb (BRY) def. Bertsch (BRA), 6-2, 6-1
No. 5 – Kendall (BRY) def. He (BRA), 7-5, 6-0
No. 6 – Lehat (BRA) def. Bergeron (BRY), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
Exh – Rokke (BRY) def. Hatfield (BRA), 6-4
No. 1 – Leavitt/Bertsch (BRA) def. Hickey/Oropeza (BRY), 6-4
No. 2 – Khromchenko/Dehterevich (BRA) def. Tan/Gottlieb (BRY), 7-5
No. 3 – He/Hatfield (BRA) def. Rokke/Kendall (BRY), 7-6 (8-6)
Exh – Bergeron/Betancourt (BRY) def. Lehat/Zubrinsky (BRA), 6-4
The Bulldogs return to Rally Point next Saturday (Feb. 9) to host Fairfield. First serve is set for 7:15 p.m.