TRUMBULL, Conn. – The Bryant University women's tennis improved to 2-1 in conference play with a 6-1 victory over Sacred Heart on Sunday evening.
Coach Cilli's Comments
"Sacred Heart was tough. There were matches that could have gone the other way but we really played well during the points we needed to."
How it Happened
- Bryant grabbed an early lead with a sweep of the doubles point. Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) and Sarah Hickey (Toronto, Ont.) earned an exciting win at 1, 7-6 (7-6).
- The Bulldogs then put the match away, winning each of the first five singles matches.
- Oropeza won in straight-sets at 1 to earn her sixth-straight victory.
- Hickey then won in three sets at 2 and Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) won in straight sets at 3.
- Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) and Leanne Kendall (Lakeville, Mass.) both dropped the first set before rebounding for three-set victories.
No. 1 – Oropeza (BRY) def. Podsiebierski (SHU), 7-5, 6-2
No. 2 – Hickey (BRY) def. Lauria (SHU), 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-0
No. 3 – Tan (BRY) def. Tobia (SHU), 6-2, 7-5
No. 4 – Gottlieb (BRY) def. Santarsiero (SHU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
No. 5 – Kendall (BRY) def. Navarro (SHU), 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
No. 6 – Alfonso (SHU) def. Bergeron (BRY), 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
No. 1 – Oropeza/Hickey (BRY) def. Podsiebierski/Tobia (SHU), 7-6 (7-6)
No. 2 – Tan/Gottlieb (BRY) def. Lauria/Navarro (SHU), 7-5
No. 3 – Kendall/Bergeron (BRY) def. Santarsiero/Alfonso (SHU), 6-3
Bryant will travel to Boston on Friday, March 29 to face Boston University. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.