SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis fell to UConn on Friday and Army on Saturday.
Coach Cilli's Comments
"Army is a tough opponent, physically and mentally. We came out strong in doubles which was great. Singles is where Army really weathered the tougher points. A few more deuce games our way and it could have been a different result. Something we need improve on. Happy with how we fought and pushed our opponent today."
How it Happened (UConn)
- The Bulldogs won at No. 1 doubles but the Huskies were able to win at 2 and 3. Ada Boru (Istanbul, Turkey) and Sarah Hickey (Toronto, Ont.) were victorious, 6-2.
- In singles, Boru, Leanne Kendall (Lakeville, Mass.) and Gabrielle Bergeron (Quebec, Canada) all took their matches to third sets.
- Boru won her first set 7-5 but dropped the final two. Kendall won her second set, 6-4, but fell in the third. Bergeron also won her second set, 6-1, before falling in the third.
How it Happened (Army)
- The Black and Gold grabbed the doubles point from the Black Knights, winning all three matches.
- Boru and Hickey won at 1, 6-4, Arianna Oropeza (Weston, Fla.) and Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) won 6-3 and Kendall and Bergeron won at 3.
- Oropeza picked up Bryant's second point with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 2.
- The Black Knights clinched the match with victories in each of the other five singles.
No. 1 – Fitz-Randolph (UC) def. Boru (BRY), 5-7, 6-2, 10-6
No. 2 – Bou (UC) def. Oropeza (BRY), 6-4, 6-1
No. 3 – Moreau (UC) def. Hickey (BRY), 6-2, 6-4
No. 4 – Chung (UC) def. Gottlieb (BRY), 6-0, 6-1
No. 5 – Lazaro (UC) def. Kendall (BRY), 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
No. 6 – Rabines (UC) def. Bergeron (BRY), 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
No. 1 – Boru/Hickey (BRY) def. Fitz-Randolph/Rabines (UC), 6-2
No. 2 – Moreau/Bou (UC) def. Oropeza/Gottlieb (BRY), 6-0
No. 3 – Chung/Lazaro (UC) def. Kendall/Bergeron (BRY), 6-2
No. 1 – Joyner (ARMY) def. Boru (BRY), 6-3, 6-1
No. 2 – Oropeza (BRY) def. Allen (ARMY), 6-2, 6-1
No. 3 – Boo (ARMY) def. Hickey (BRY), 6-1, 6-4
No. 4 – McCormick (ARMY) def. Gottlieb (BRY), 6-1, 6-1
No. 5 – Waldman (ARMY) def. Kendall (BRY), 6-4, 6-4
No. 6 – Son (ARMY) def. Bergeron (BRY), 6-2, 7-5
No. 1 – Boru/Hickey (BRY) def. Allen/Joyner (ARMY), 6-4
No. 2 – Oropeza/Gottlieb (BRY) def. Bou/McCormick (ARMY), 6-3
No. 3 – Kendall/Bergeron (BRY) def. Son/Waldman (ARMY), 6-4
The Bulldogs wrap up their weekend on Sunday at Fairleigh Dickinson.