SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team opens its 2017 season with three games at the Titan Tournament this weekend in Fullerton, Calif.
Opponents: Drake (Fri.), UC Riverside (Sat.), Cal St. Fullerton (Sat.)
Time: 5:00 p.m. EST (Fri.), 2:00 and 7:30 p.m. EST (Sat.)
- This weekend's Titan Tournament will feature five teams. Cal St. Fullerton will serve as the host, welcoming Bryant, Northeast Conference member Fairleigh Dickinson, Drake and UC Riverside to southern California.
- The tournament will occur over a two-day period, with four games scheduled for each day.
- All three opponents this weekend will be first-time opponents for the Bulldogs.
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- Bryant's season-opening trip to California will be its furthest trip west since it opened the 2013 season at the University of Oregon.
- This weekend will be the first of four tournaments for the Black and Gold this season. They will also compete in the BC Invitational, the Hampton Inn-vitational and the Hofstra Invitational.
- Bryant is coming off a historic 2016 season in which it matched DI program records for overall wins (19) and league victories (10).
- The Bulldogs also set DI program single-season records for kills per set (13.44), attacking percentage (.197), assists (1537), assists per set (12.60), serve percentage (.936) and points per set (16.45).
A bit about Drake
- The Bulldogs posted their first winning season in six years last season, going 17-15. They return six key players, including senior Kyla Inderski, who finished with 400 kills last year.
A bit about UC Riverside
- The Highlanders are coming off a 2016 season that saw them go 8-20 overall and 3-13 in the conference. UC Riverside returns four starts and 10 letter winners in 2017.
A bit about Cal St. Fullerton
- The Titans went 6-24 overall and 1-15 in conference last season but return their top three attackers from 2016. Shimen Fayad posted 330 kills, while Madeline Schneider registered 309.