Sep 02, 2017
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The Bryant volleyball team was downed in three sets by Princeton Saturday to close out the Bulldogs' weekend at the BC Invitational.
Princeton 3, Bryant 0 (15-25, 19-25, 18-25)
Records: Princeton (2-1); Bryant (2-5)
Location: Power Gym (Chestnut Hill, Mass.)
COACH GARLACY'S COMMENTS
"Ally Lunsford saw her first action of the season today after being sidelined for the first few matches. Kiley Robbins was once again our most consistent performer and earned all-tournament status. The weekend was a great learning experience with a high level of play."
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Set 1 - The Bulldogs cut the deficit to 9-7 before a 6-1 Princeton run out of a timeout gave the Tigers a lead they would not relinquish. Junior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) tallied four blocks in the opening set.
• Set 2 - Princeton led 21-9 before a 10-1 run from the Bulldogs brought the set to within three points at 22-19. The Tigers would rebound with a pair of blocks and a kill to close out the set and take a 2-0 lead. Junior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) recorded three kills in the set.
• Set 3 - A Sperry kill brought the Bulldogs to within 9-8 before an 8-0 Princeton run gave the Tigers the upper hand in the set. The teams would trade tallies throughout the re-mainder of the set before Princeton finished off the Bulldogs with a 25-18 win.
• Sperry tallied six kills, nine assists and five digs for Bryant.
• Freshman Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) recorded 10 digs.
• Richmeyer finished the match with four blocks.
• Bryant falls to 1-1 all-time against Princeton.
• Senior Kiley Robbins (Garland, Texas) was named an all-tournament selection for her performance during the BC Invitational.
• Ward is averaging 4.84 digs per set to begin her collegiate career.
• Senior Ally Lunsford (Minneola, Fla.) made her season debut Saturday.
Bryant is back in action Tuesday when the Bulldogs make the trip north to New Hampshire. First serve in Durham is slated for 7 p.m.