BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Four players were in double figures in kills, but the Bryant University volleyball team was held off by LIU Brooklyn in four sets Saturday at the Steinberg Wellness Center.
LIU Brooklyn 3, Bryant 1 (25-23, 16-25, 25-22, 25-21)
Records: Bryant (17-11, 7-3 NEC); LIU Brooklyn (15-9, 8-3 NEC)
Location: Steinberg Wellness Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Tonight's match was a roller coaster of momentum switches. Ally Lunsford, Grace Richmeyer and Kiley Robbins had huge nights for us. On the defensive end, Erika Ward was solid.
"Next weekend's two conference matches will be key in determining who will be going to the NEC tournament. We would love to have the Bryant community at Chace as we make a push towards the conference tournament."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Juniors Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) and Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) recorded four kills each in the set as the Bulldogs held off a Blackbird comeback bid by scoring the final two points of the frame. After a 7-0 LIU run tied the set at 23, a kill from senior Kiley Robbins (Garland, Texas) and a Blackbird attack error closed out the set at 25-23.
- Set 2 – Flynn had five kills and four digs, but LIU hit .366 on its way to a 25-16 set victory to even the match.
- Set 3 – LIU went on a 10-1 run to turn a 9-5 deficit into a 15-10 advantage as the Blackbirds won the set 25-22. The Bulldogs would pull to within 23-22 before the Blackbirds tallied the final two points. Robbins had four of her 10 kills in the set.
- Set 4 – After Bryant tied the set at 19, LIU closed the set on a 6-2 run to win the set 25-21 and the match in four sets. Junior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) tallied four of her 10 kills in the set.
- Junior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) recorded a team-high 15 kills for her 19th double-digit kill performance of 2017.
- Seniors Ally Lunsford (Minneola, Fla.) and Kiley Robbins (Garland, Texas) and junior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) each had 10 kills.
- Richmeyer recorded four blocks, while Lunsford added three.
- Junior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) tallied 33 assists and 10 digs, while freshman Alisi Motu'apuaka (Virginia Beach, Va.) added 16 assists.
- Freshman Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) recorded 17 digs, while Flynn chipped in 12.
- Bryant falls to 4-16 against LIU Brooklyn since joining Division I in 2008.
Bryant returns home next weekend to face Fairleigh Dickinson (Friday, 5 p.m.) and Sacred Heart (Saturday, 5 p.m.).