MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa – Junior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) tallied nine kills, 23 assists and eight digs, while junior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) added a match-high 12 kills in the Bryant University volleyball team's sweep of Robert Morris Friday night.
The victory gave Bryant its first 20-win season in the Division I era, surpassing a program-best 19 in 2015 and 2016.
With Friday's results, Bryant can finish anywhere between first and third in the NEC standings after tomorrow's regular-season finale. The Bulldogs would host the NEC tournament with a win and LIU Brooklyn loss to Fairleigh Dickinson.
Bryant 3, Robert Morris 0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-20)
Records: Bryant (20-11, 10-3 NEC); Robert Morris (14-15, 8-5 NEC)
Location: North Athletic Complex (Moon Township, Pa.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"We ran on all cylinders tonight and stayed focused from start to finish. The block did a great job of controlling their offense and what did come through was picked up easily by our defense. We ran a balanced attack and played with great energy."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Bryant hit .538 in the opening set, taking 12 of the first 16 points with six kills coming from five different players. Bryant fended off a late RMU surge that saw the Colonials cut the lead to five.
- Set 2 – Bryant again started well, taking 10 of the first 16 points and never allowing the Colonials closer than three points the rest of the way.
- Set 3 – After falling behind 3-2 early in the third, the Black and Gold rattled off a 6-1 run to take control of the third.
- Junior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) had another quality all-around performance, tallying nine kills on a .467 hitting percentage to go along with 23 assists, eight digs and two blocks.
- Junior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) recorded a team-high 12 kills and added seven digs.
- Junior Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) had six kills and 14 digs, while freshman Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) added 13 digs.
- Senior Ally Lunsford (Minneola, Fla.) was in on five blocks in the match, while senior Kiley Robbins (Garland, Texas) and junior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) each contributed three.
- Bryant had an 8-3 advantage in blocks.
- The Bulldogs have 59 wins over the last three seasons – the highest total in the Division I era.
- With tonight's victory, head coach Theresa Garlacy is now at 493 for her collegiate coaching career over 22 seasons in Smithfield. Garlacy holds a .603 winning percentage in 818 career matches.
Bryant closes the regular season at Saint Francis U Saturday at 5 p.m.