CHICAGO – The Bryant University volleyball team fell in three sets to UIC Friday in the Bulldogs' 2018 season opener at the UIC Invitational.
UIC 3, Bryant 0 (22-25, 20-25, 20-25)
Records: Bryant (0-1); UIC (1-0)
Location: Flames Athletic Center (Chicago, Ill.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Caroline Kennedy had a great first match, settling into the lineup and giving us a go-to option. Erika Ward dug very well. UIC had a very quick offense which will help us speed up our block down the road. Brianna Bruny stood out in the middle with very efficient hitting and Kirstyn Sperry started out the year by giving us a double-double."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – The Bulldogs cut the deficit to 21-20, but the Flames responded out of a timeout for a 25-22 set win. Junior Brianna Bruny (Biscayne Park, Fla.) recorded four kills in the opening set.
- Set 2 – Bryant led 11-7, but UIC went on a 7-0 run to take the lead and a 9-0 run to take control of the set in a 25-20 frame. Kennedy tallied five kills in the set.
- Set 3 – Neither team led by more than three in the set until 24-20, as UIC closed the match on a 9-2 run for the three-set victory. Bryant collected three blocks in the set, with senior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) in on all of them.
- Kennedy recorded 10 kills (10-3-26) with five digs and two blocks.
- Ward had 16 digs, five assists and one of two Bulldog aces.
- Senior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) collected 21 assists, 12 digs, three kills and a block.
- Senior Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) tallied eight kills and nine digs.
- Bruny added six kills in the match.
- Bryant hit .112 as a team, while UIC recorded a .191 mark.
- The Flames held a 10-3 advantage on the block.
- Kennedy started the match in her collegiate debut, while sophomore Mackenzie Wild (Rochester, Mich.) made her first collegiate start. Wild tallied a career-high five kills.
- Freshman Jenna Knight (Scottsdale, Ariz.) made her collegiate debut in the match, recording five assists, two digs, one kill and one ace.
- Bryant drops to 0-1 all-time against UIC.
Bryant plays two matches in Chicago Saturday with an 11 a.m. match against Central Michigan and 6 p.m. contest against Maryland Eastern Shore.