CHICAGO – Seniors Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) and Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) recorded double-doubles and hitting percentages north of .400 as the Bryant University volleyball team closed out a winning weekend in Chicago with a sweep of Maryland Eastern Shore Saturday evening at the UIC Invitational.
Bryant 3, Maryland Eastern Shore 0 (25-11, 25-20, 25-16)
Records: Bryant (2-1); Maryland Eastern Shore (0-3)
Location: Flames Athletic Center (Chicago, Ill.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"The team kept their intensity and speed after winning the first set. We came out strong in sets two and three. Kingi stood out both offensively and defensively, reading and passing so consistently. Erika continues to be a vocal spark plug, digging some ridiculous attacks. Sperry was big for us again, getting her third double-double of the weekend. Haley showed how hard she can hit as well and shows she likes to finish the set as well."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Bryant opened the match on a 9-1 run to force an Eastern Shore timeout. The Bulldogs would lead the set by seven or more points the rest of the way to take the opening frame 25-11.
- Set 2 – A 10-2 Bryant run gave the Bulldogs a 13-5 advantage midway through the frame. Kingi added four more kills and Sperry tallied 12 assists in the set.
- Set 3 – Eastern Shore posted three straight aces to begin the set, but a pair of Kingi kills followed by a pair of Sperry aces gave the Bulldogs a lead they would hold the remainder of the deciding set. Bryant would go on an 11-1 run to take an 11-4 advantage and lead by no less than six on its way to a 25-14 third-set victory to sweep the match.
- Kingi tallied 13 kills on a .407 hitting percentage and added 10 digs for her second double-double of the day.
- Sperry recorded 27 assists and 11 digs for her third-straight double-double to open 2018. The senior added seven kills and two aces.
- Freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) chipped in eight kills with four of them coming in the third set.
- Sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) collected 10 digs.
- Bryant hit a season-best .312 in the match and limited Eastern Shore to an .043 clip.
- The Bulldogs held a 44-29 advantage in digs.
- Sperry and Kennedy were named to the UIC Invitational All-Tournament Team.
- Freshman Maya Popernik (Chicago, Ill.) recorded a kill and an ace playing in her hometown. The kill brought the Bulldogs to match point in the third set.
- Bryant improves to 1-0 all-time against Maryland Eastern Shore and 3-1 against current members of the MEAC.
Bryant opens the home portion of its schedule Wednesday at 4 p.m. when the Bulldogs host UMass Lowell.