BRONX, N.Y. – The Bryant University volleyball team rebounded from a 32-30 second set defeat to force a fifth set, but was held off by Fordham to close the Rose Hill Classic Saturday.
Fordham 3, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (4-3); Fordham (2-4)
Location: Rose Hill Gym (Bronx, N.Y.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"The Fordham match was one of huge momentum swings and runs by both teams. We lost a hotly contested second set and fought back to win the third and fourth set convincingly. The connection between Sperry and our middles continues to improve. The weekend was a good measuring stick for us. We head back to work Monday to prepare for a welcome homestand."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Fordham opened the match up 6-1 in the first set and led the rest of the way. Bryant brought the set within 13-12, but a 7-2 Fordham run gave the Rams control of the frame. Freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) had five kills in the set.
- Set 2 – Bryant took a 6-2 lead to begin the set and led 15-9 before Fordham brought it back within two at 15-13. After Bryant moved ahead 17-13, Fordham took the next six points and the teams traded blows until 30-30 before the Rams closed out a battle of a second set at 32-30 to take a 2-0 lead.
- Set 3 – Bryant opened up an 8-1 lead and never looked back, winning the set 25-15 and holding Fordham to a -.061 hitting percentage.
- Set 4 – A 6-0 run with two Kennedy kills and two aces from senior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) gave the Bulldogs a 16-11 advantage. Fordham would cut the deficit to four at 17-13, but eight straight Bryant points led by two kills and a block from sophomore Mackenzie Wild (Rochester, Mich.) closed out the set to pull the match even.
- Set 5 – Fordham took a 5-1 lead to begin the deciding set and led by three the rest of the way in a 15-8 frame to win the match.
- Kennedy tallied 17 kills along with eight digs.
- Sperry collected 46 assists – four shy of her career-high – along with 13 digs. The senior added two aces, extending her Division I program record to 138.
- Freshman Haley O'Brien (Milton, Mass.) was in double digits in kills for the second time on the weekend with 10 in the match.
- Senior Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) recorded a double-double of 10 kills and 18 digs.
- O'Brien posted a career-high 10 kills along with three blocks, while Richmeyer added seven kills and three blocks.
- Sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) notched 17 digs.
- Bryant hit .176 in the match, while Fordham recorded a .168 mark.
- Sophomore Mackenzie Wild (Rochester, Mich.) was named to the Rose Hill Classic All-Tournament Team.
- Bryant drops to 0-1 all-time against Fordham.
The Bulldogs return home for their next four matches, beginning with a Tuesday night contest against New Hampshire at 7 p.m.