PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team looks to build on a 3-0 weekend at the Hampton Inn-vitational when the Bulldogs take the short trip to Providence for a Tuesday night clash.
Series History vs. Providence
The Bulldogs are 8-16 all-time against the Friars but 7-6 since the move to Division I. The home team has won the last nine meetings with Bryant winning the most recent meeting in a sweep in Smithfield last September. The first two sets went beyond 25 before Bryant closed out the three-set victory with a 25-11 final frame.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant is 7-0 on the year after a 3-0 weekend at the Hampton Inn-vitational. The Bulldogs picked up sweeps of Middle Tennessee and Coppin State before a four-set win over Quinnipiac.
- Freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) was named Hampton Inn-vitational MVP, while redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) and sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) earned all-tournament honors.
- Ward tallied 5.10 digs per set in the weekend tournament, while Kennedy averaged 3.90 kills per set and Flynn added 3.80.
- Kennedy has tallied double-digit kills in 10 of 11 matches to begin her collegiate career.
- Bryant's .313 hitting percentage over the weekend was its best in a three-match stretch since Aug. 31-Sept. 6, 2008.
- Head coach Theresa Garlacy won her 500th career match in Saturday's sweep of Coppin State. Garlacy picked up her 500th win on the 22nd anniversary of her first victory, Sept. 8, 1996, against Saint Michael's.
- With three wins last weekend, the Bulldogs improved to 40-5 (.889) at the Chace Athletic Center since the start of the 2015 season.
A Bit About Providence
The Friars are 6-4 on the year after a 2-2 weekend at UMKC. Providence is 1-1 against the NEC this year with a loss to Sacred Heart and a win over Fairleigh Dickinson.
Allison Impellizeri leads the Friars with 3.44 kills per set on a .321 hitting percentage. Allison Barber has tallied 10.18 assists per set. Mackenzie Taylor paces Providence with 4.91 digs per set.
Up Next: Stony Brook Invitational
Bryant plays its final non-conference weekend on Long Island with three matches at the Stony Brook Invitational. The Bulldogs face Delaware and Stony Brook Friday before a match against Colgate Saturday.