PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team got key contributions from its five seniors as the Bulldogs picked up a five-set win at Providence Tuesday night.
Senior Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) led the way with a double-double of 14 kills and 13 digs as Bryant won for the first time at Alumni Hall.
Bryant 3, Providence 2 (25-12, 16-25, 25-14, 23-25, 15-10)
Records: Bryant (8-4); Providence (6-5)
Location: Alumni Hall (Providence, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Nikki Kim did a great job of stepping up in the libero position tonight. Our five seniors were the huge difference-makers in this match. They made big swings when the pressure was on, they played solid defense, Flynn and Sperry served tough, and we kept Providence out of system. I can't say enough about our seniors, their leadership, and their focus to win this match on the road tonight."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Bryant hit .500 (11-1-20) in the opening set with four kills from Kingi. The Bulldogs closed the frame on a 7-2 run for the 25-12 margin.
- Set 2 – Providence used a 6-1 run to take a 7-3 lead and held at least a three-point advantage the rest of the set. Bryant would cut it to four at 17-13 before the Friars rattled off five of the next six points to take control of the frame.
- Set 3 – Redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) recorded two kills and a block during a 9-3 run that gave the Bulldogs a 19-11 advantage. Bryant would score the final three points of the set off Providence errors for a 25-14 decision.
- Set 4 – Providence staved off elimination with a 25-23 fourth-set win. The Friars would go up three at 23-20 before a pair of kills from freshman Haley O'Brien (Milton, Mass.) brought the Black and Gold back within one, but PC stepped up with a pair of blocks to close out the set and force a fifth.
- Set 5 – Bryant opened the deciding set up 5-1 before Providence rebounded to tie it at 5-5. A Flynn kill and ace made it 10-7 and the Bulldogs would lead by at least two the rest of the way, clinching the match on a kill from freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.).
- Kingi led the Bulldogs with 14 kills and 13 digs for her sixth double-double of the season. The senior hit .333 (14-3-33).
- Kennedy added 10 kills, good for her 11th match of double-digit kills in her first 12 as a Bulldog.
- O'Brien chipped in eight kills and three blocks, while Flynn notched seven kills, 11 digs and two blocks.
- Senior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) tallied seven kills and four blocks.
- Senior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) recorded 27 assists and senior Julia Malet (San Rafael, Calif.) added 14.
- Junior Nikki Kim (River Edge, N.J.) collected 11 digs in her first start of the year at libero.
- Bryant improves to 9-16 all-time against Providence and 8-6 in the Division I era. Tuesday's victory was the Bulldogs' first at Alumni Hall.
- The Bulldogs' four-match winning streak is their longest of the season.
- Bryant got 32 of its 55 kills and 44 of 49 assists from its senior class.
Bryant will travel to Long Island for the final non-conference weekend with three matches at the Stony Brook Invitational. The Bulldogs will face Delaware and Stony Brook Friday before a Saturday match against Colgate.