SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team was downed in three sets by Sacred Heart Friday night at the Chace Athletic Center.
Sacred Heart 3, Bryant 0 (23-25, 20-25, 10-25)
Records: Bryant (13-9, 3-2); Sacred Heart (10-5, 3-1)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Our team wasn't themselves tonight and because of our passing we couldn't get our offense going. The middles were the bright spot and did play well."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Bryant led 11-5 in the opening set before Sacred Heart cut it to one with a 7-2 run. The teams went back and forth up until a 23-22 Bryant advantage, before SHU scored the final three points of the set.
- Set 2 – Sacred Heart opened the set up 7-0, but back-to-back blocks by senior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) cut it to 12-9. The Bulldogs would be back within three again at 17-14, but three straight Pioneer points gave SHU a hold on the set. Sperry had four blocks in the set, while senior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) recorded three.
- Set 3 – The teams were tied 5-5 before a 12-0 Sacred Heart run gave the Pioneers control of the set and match, closing out a 25-10 frame.
- Freshman Haley O'Brien (Milton, Mass.) hit .400 with seven kills (7-1-15) and collected four blocks.
- Sperry tallied five blocks and Richmeyer recorded four.
- Bryant recorded eight blocks as a team.
- Redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) notched seven kills, moving her to 999 for her collegiate career.
- Bryant hit .071 in the match, while Sacred Heart hit .281.
- Bryant drops to 24-17 all-time against Sacred Heart and 6-15 in the Division I era.
Bryant looks to split the weekend with a 5 p.m. match Saturday against Fairleigh Dickinson at the Chace Athletic Center.