NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – The Bryant University volleyball team closes out the first half of its NEC slate Friday with a key conference showdown at Central Connecticut.
Opponent: Central Connecticut
Location: Detrick Gymnasium (New Britain, Conn.)
Match Time: Friday – 7 p.m.
Live Stats: Presto Sports
Series History vs. Central Connecticut
The Bulldogs are 6-17 all-time against the Blue Devils and 5-15 in the Division I era. The teams met three times a year ago with CCSU ending Bryant's season in the NEC semifinals. Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) recorded career-highs of 50 assists and 25 digs in the conference tournament meeting a year ago.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant is 14-9 on the year and 4-2 in the NEC after a split of last weekend's conference matches. The Bulldogs fell in three sets to Sacred Heart Friday before a sweep of Fairleigh Dickinson Saturday.
- Redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) collected her 1,000th career kill in Saturday's victory.
- Senior Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) recorded 20 or more digs three times in the month of September, besting a previous career-high of 19 matched earlier this season. The senior is 183 total digs away from matching the Division I career record of 1,359 set by Debora Magalhaes in 2015.
- Freshman Caroline Kennedy (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) ranks second among NEC freshmen with 2.99 kills per set.
- The Bulldogs are one of two teams with two players in the top 10 in the NEC in digs per set. Sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) ranks fourth in the conference with 4.17 digs per set, while Kingi is eighth at 3.22.
- Head coach Theresa Garlacy won her 500th career match Sept. 8 against Coppin State. Garlacy has 508 career victories entering the weekend – all of them at Bryant.
A Bit About Central Connecticut
The Blue Devils are 8-9 on the year and second in the NEC at 5-1, with the lone conference loss coming at LIU. CCSU and Bryant have played the same six teams to begin conference play.
Madelyn Kaprelyan leads the NEC with a .311 hitting percentage and ranks third in the conference with a team-high 3.34 kills per set. Gala Galabova has recorded a team-high 1.16 blocks per set.
Up Next: Saint Francis U, Robert Morris
Bryant makes the annual excursion to Pennsylvania next weekend for a pair of matches. The Bulldogs will play a Friday match at Saint Francis U before a Saturday contest at Robert Morris.