LORETTO, Pa. – The Bryant University volleyball team makes its annual excursion to western Pennsylvania this weekend for Northeast Conference matches against Saint Francis U and Robert Morris.
Opponents: Saint Francis U (Friday); Robert Morris (Saturday)
Match Times: Friday – 7 p.m.; Saturday – 5 p.m.
Links (Friday): NEC Front Row | Live Stats
Links (Saturday): NEC Front Row | Live Stats
Series History vs. Saint Francis U
The Red Flash hold an 11-9 advantage in the all-time series, but Bryant has won four of the last five meetings and each of the last two in Loretto. The Bulldogs swept the Red Flash in Smithfield in the Sept. 21 NEC opener behind 10 kills and no errors on a .588 hitting percentage from senior Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.).
Series History vs. Robert Morris
The Bulldogs are 9-12 against the Colonials, but Bryant has taken the last five matches between the teams. Bryant came back from down 2-1 to win in five sets Sept. 22 at the Chace Athletic Center in front of a raucous Homecoming crowd. Kingi and redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) each posted matches of 10+ kills and 20+ digs, while senior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) chipped in with six blocks.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant is 15-9 on the year and 5-2 in the NEC after a sweep of Central Connecticut last Friday in New Britain. Kingi tallied 15 kills and 13 digs in the victory.
- Sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) was named Molten/NEC Defensive Player of the Week Monday after recording 22 digs in the sweep of the Blue Devils.
- Bryant's win Friday moved the Bulldogs into a three-way tie with Central Connecticut and Sacred Heart for second place in the NEC at 5-2 halfway through the 14-match conference slate.
- Freshman Jenna Knight (Scottsdale, Ariz.) posted her first career double-digit kill effort in the win in New Britain, hitting .429 with 10 kills. All four Bulldog freshmen have a match of 10 or more kills to their name this season.
- Bryant has seen eight different players record 10 or more kills in a match this season: Flynn, Kingi, Richmeyer, sophomore Mackenzie Wild (Rochester, Mich.), Knight, freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.), freshman Haley O'Brien (Milton, Mass.) and freshman Maya Popernik (Chicago, Ill.).
- The Bulldogs feature three of the top nine players in the NEC in kills per set, as Flynn ranks third (3.31), Kennedy stands seventh (2.97) and Kingi is ninth (2.71).
- Head coach Theresa Garlacy won her 500th career match in the Sept. 8 sweep of Coppin State. Garlacy is now at 509 career wins entering the weekend.
A Bit About Saint Francis U
The Red Flash are 4-16 on the year and 3-4 in the NEC entering the weekend. Saint Francis is 3-2 in its last five with wins over Robert Morris, St. Francis Brooklyn and Fairleigh Dickinson.
Freshman Madi Tyus ranks second in the NEC with a team-high 3.43 kills per set while adding 3.30 digs per set. Jess Barrett sits second in the conference in digs (4.36).
A Bit About Robert Morris
The Colonials are 8-14 overall with a 2-5 mark in the NEC, splitting last weekend on the road with a sweep of Fairleigh Dickinson and four-set loss to Sacred Heart. RMU's other conference win came at home Oct. 5 against St. Francis Brooklyn.
Emma Granger leads Robert Morris in kills per set (2.67) on a .294 hitting percentage, good for fourth in the NEC. Allie Yurkovich stands fifth in the conference with 4.07 digs per set.
Up Next: Central Connecticut
Bryant will play at home for the first time in 21 days when the Bulldogs host Central Connecticut, Saturday, Oct. 27, at 6 p.m. for the team's Bulldogs vs. Breast Cancer match to benefit the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation.