LORETTO, Pa. – Sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) tallied a career-high 27 digs as the Bryant University volleyball team battled back from a 2-1 deficit for a five-set road win at Saint Francis U Friday night.
Five Bulldogs recorded double-digit digs in the win and three collected 10 or more kills.
Bryant 3, Saint Francis U 2 (19-25, 25-14, 21-25, 25-20, 15-11)
Records: Bryant (16-9, 6-2); Saint Francis U (4-17, 3-5)
Location: DeGol Arena (Loretto, Pa.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Tonight's win was just another example of how balanced our team is. We have five people with double-digit digs, including two setters, and three players with double-digit kills. We showed great composure in the fifth set and made big plays when we needed them. It was another awesome team effort."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Bryant led 17-14 in the opening set before a 9-1 SFU run flipped the script. The Red Flash would take the opening set, 25-19.
- Set 2 – An 8-1 Bryant run gave the Bulldogs a 10-4 advantage as they cruised to a 25-14 win in the second to even the match.
- Set 3 – Bryant pulled to within 22-21 before the Red Flash took the final three points on a Bulldog blocking error and two attack errors. Freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) recorded four kills in the set.
- Set 4 – With Bryant clinging to a 21-20 lead, the Bulldog seniors stepped up, as Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) and Kristin Kingi (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) combined for four straight kills to close out a 25-20 decision and force a decisive fifth set.
- Set 5 – Saint Francis led 8-7 as the teams switched sides, but four straight Bryant points gave the Bulldogs an 11-8 lead. The Red Flash would pull to within 12-11 before two kills from redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) forced set point. Bryant won the match on a double touch by the SFU setter.
- Ward's 27 digs surpassed her career-high of 25 set Sept. 15 against Colgate.
- Kingi recorded 15 kills and 15 digs in the win. Kingi passed Macy Mitravich for second in Bryant's Division I history in career digs with 1,204.
- Flynn recorded 14 kills and 17 digs along with two blocks.
- Kennedy hit .400 with 14 kills, while freshman Haley O'Brien (Milton, Mass.) hit .462 with seven kills and four blocks and freshman Jenna Knight (Scottsdale, Ariz.) chipped in with three blocks.
- Senior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) collected 41 assists and 13 digs.
- Senior Julia Malet (San Rafael, Calif.) recorded 15 digs in her third double-double of the year.
- Bryant improves to 12-9 all-time against Saint Francis, winning its third-straight meeting with the Red Flash in Loretto.
Bryant returns to action Saturday at 5 p.m. when the Bulldogs travel to Moon Township, Pennsylvania, for a match at Robert Morris.