HACKENSACK, N.J. – The Bryant University volleyball team won its seventh straight Northeast Conference match and kept itself in the running for the NEC regular-season crown with a sweep of Fairleigh Dickinson Saturday night.
Bryant earned its second consecutive 20-win season and pulled to within one match of idle LIU Brooklyn entering Friday night's meeting between the Bulldogs and Blackbirds in Smithfield.
Bryant 3, Fairleigh Dickinson 0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-15)
Records: Bryant (20-10, 10-2); Fairleigh Dickinson (2-26, 0-12)
Location: Rothman Center (Hackensack, N.J.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"A great defensive effort from our setters kept us focused and offensively we were led by Caroline Kennedy, who hit on both pins, and Grace Richmeyer in the middle. Erika Ward had a solid outing with 18 digs and three aces."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Redshirt-senior Julia Flynn (Pembroke, Mass.) recorded four kills on Bryant's first eight points and the Bulldogs never trailed in the set, closing out a 25-17 win.
- Set 2 – FDU was within two at 12-10 before an 8-1 Bryant run gave the Bulldogs control of the set. Bryant tallied three aces during the run, including two from sophomore Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.), to go up 20-11 and eventually close out a 25-18 second-set victory.
- Set 3 – The set was tied at 12 before a 7-1 run helped the Bulldogs create some separation. Freshman Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) had a pair of kills during the stretch and six in the set as Bryant completed the sweep with a 25-15 third set.
- Kennedy recorded 13 kills on a .458 hitting percentage (13-2-24).
- Ward was one of three Bulldogs with double-digit digs, recording 18 in the match. Ward, who also contributed three aces in the win, moved to within 55 digs of 1,000 for her Bulldog career.
- Flynn totaled seven kills and 16 digs.
- Senior Kirstyn Sperry (Phoenix, Ariz.) collected 19 assists and 16 digs, while senior Julia Malet (San Rafael, Calif.) chipped in with 15 assists.
- Senior Grace Richmeyer (DeSoto, Mo.) had eight kills on a .412 hitting percentage (8-1-17).
- The Bulldogs hit .202 in the match, while FDU hit .042.
- Bryant improves to 17-8 all-time against Fairleigh Dickinson and 17-6 in the Division I era. The Bulldogs swept the regular season series for the fifth consecutive year.
- The Bulldogs' 20 wins this season are the second-most in the Division I era. Bryant won 21 matches a year ago and has won at least 19 in each of the last four seasons.
Bryant returns home for the final two matches of the regular season, beginning with a Friday clash with LIU Brooklyn at 6 p.m.