FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Bryant University volleyball team was downed in three sets by San Diego State Friday to open the season at the Homewood Suites Fort Myers Classic.
Freshmen Riley James (Pocasset, Mass.) and Emma McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) led the way for the Bryant attack with a combined 13 kills. McGovern posted a team-high 10 digs in her first collegiate match.
San Diego State 3, Bryant 0 (22-25, 16-25, 13-25)
Records: Bryant (0-1), San Diego State (2-0)
Location: Alico Arena (Fort Myers, Fla.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"It was a good first outing showing us where our strengths and weaknesses lie. We passed extremely well and served tough. Alisi ran a great tempo and our young outsides performed very good defensively."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – A 7-0 run gave the Aztecs an 8-4 lead and SDSU would not trail the rest of the way in the opening set. The Bulldogs would be back within one at 14-13 before a 6-0 SDSU run allowed for some separation. Bryant would cut the lead to 23-22 before the Aztecs tallied the final two points of the set.
- Set 2 – The Aztecs led 10-6 and extended the advantage to 13-7 to force a Bryant timeout midway through the set. A 6-1 run would put SDSU ahead by 10 at 19-9 and the Aztecs would lead the set by at least six the rest of the way.
- Set 3 – SDSU jumped out to an 8-1 lead and hit .312 in the set to close out its second victory of the afternoon.
- James led Bryant with seven kills in her collegiate debut.
- McGovern tallied six kills and a team-high 10 digs in the first match of her collegiate career.
- Redshirt-junior Sydney Gorski (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) collected a block solo and two block assists.
- Freshman Mia Cergol (East Northport, N.Y.) recorded 11 assists in her first match in Black & Gold.
- Cergol, James and McGovern started in their collegiate debuts. Freshman Maggie Ryan (Bethesda, Md.) also made her first collegiate appearance in the match.
- Bryant drops to 0-1 all-time against San Diego State.
Bryant is back in action with two matches Saturday in Fort Myers, facing host FGCU at 11 a.m. and Akron at 4 p.m.