KINGSTON, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team was held off by Boston College in a three-set match to open the Art Carmichael Invitational Friday afternoon.
Boston College 3, Bryant 0 (18-25, 18-25, 23-25)
Records: Bryant (5-8), Boston College (8-3)
Location: Keaney Gymnasium (Kingston, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Our block did a pretty good job today against BC's fast-paced offense. We served tough but made several unforced errors at crucial points in the match. We were consistent in the third set but didn't finish."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Boston College scored four straight points to go ahead 8-5 and lead the rest of the set. After the Eagles went ahead 18-10, the Bulldogs would score the next four to pull within four and keep the margin between four and five until BC scored the final three points of the set.
- Set 2 – A Kennedy kill cut the margin to one at 9-8, but Boston College responded with a 9-2 run to create separation in the set. Bryant would fend off set point four times before Boston College closed out a 25-18 win in the second.
- Set 3 – Bryant led 22-18 before Boston College rattled off six straight points to turn the tables and close out the match with a 25-23 win in the third. Four of the Eagles' final six points in the comeback came via a Bulldog attack error.
- James led the Bulldogs in kills (8) and digs (9).
- Kennedy recorded seven kills and three blocks.
- Freshman Maggie Ryan (Bethesda, Md.) was in on three blocks for the Bulldogs.
- Junior Alisi Motu'apuaka (Virginia Beach, Va.) collected 19 assists, while freshman Mia Cergol (East Northport, N.Y.) added 11.
- Sophomore Maya Popernik (Chicago, Ill.) chipped in with a pair of aces.
- Bryant drops to 1-3 all-time against Boston College.
Bryant plays two matches Saturday at the Art Carmichael Invitational. The Bulldogs face Albany at 11 a.m. and Rhode Island at 7 p.m. The match between Bryant and Rhode Island can be seen locally on YurView New England and online on ESPN+.
Tickets for the 2019 season, including the Bulldogs' next home match Sept. 24 vs. Hartford, are available HERE.