SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team fell to Hartford in three sets Tuesday night in the Bulldogs' final non-conference match before the start of Northeast Conference play.
Sophomore Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) hit .615 with nine kills in the match for the Bulldogs.
Hartford 3, Bryant 0 (18-25, 24-26, 15-25)
Records: Bryant (5-11), Hartford (8-7)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"Caroline Kennedy was great tonight and Jenna Knight was also effective for us on the right side. Other than that, we couldn't get into a rhythm tonight for some reason. We're looking forward to starting NEC play this weekend."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Hartford scored six straight points to prompt a Bryant timeout at 9-3. It would prove to be an 11-2 run for the Hawks that put Hartford ahead 14-5 in the set. The Bulldogs fended off set point three times with the help of kills from freshman Riley James (Pocasset, Mass.) and Kennedy before Hartford closed out the set at 25-18.
- Set 2 – Bryant led 15-13 before Hartford tallied five straight to turn the tables in the set. The Bulldogs would battle back and score twice to tie the set at 24 before the Hawks grabbed the next two for a 26-24 win to go ahead 2-0.
- Set 3 – Hartford opened a 7-2 lead and held the advantage the remainder of the set. Bryant would cut the deficit to 18-15, but Hartford scored the final seven points to close out the three-set match with a 25-15 third set.
- Kennedy tallied nine kills on 13 attacks with one error.
- Sophomore Jenna Knight (Scottsdale, Ariz.) added seven kills.
- Junior Alisi Motu'apuaka (Virginia Beach, Va.) recorded 17 assists, while freshman Mia Cergol (East Northport, N.Y.) added 15.
- James contributed seven kills, nine digs and three aces. The freshman has collected 21 aces in her first 16 matches in Black & Gold.
- Bryant falls to 13-9 all-time against Hartford and 6-8 in the Division I era.
Bryant begins its 16-match Northeast Conference schedule Friday when the Bulldogs face Fairleigh Dickinson at 6 p.m. in Hackensack, New Jersey.
Tickets for Bryant's 2019 home contests, including the Bulldogs' next match at the Chace Athletic Center October 4 vs. Robert Morris, are available HERE.