SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Led by a stellar showing from sophomore Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.), the Bryant University volleyball team recorded its third-highest single-match hitting percentage in the Bulldogs' Division I era in a Saturday sweep of Saint Francis U at the Chace Athletic Center.
Kennedy hit .733 with 11 kills and no errors on 15 attacks. Bryant's .427 hitting percentage as a team was its best in 11 years and ranks third in the program's D1 history behind a pair of 2008 matches against St. Francis Brooklyn.
Bryant 3, Saint Francis U 0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-12)
Records: Bryant (9-12, 4-1), Saint Francis U (1-14, 1-2)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"We definitely bounced back tonight by limiting our errors and staying focused. Our middles and opposites were flawless and efficient. We didn't allow for any runs by the opponent. I'm very proud of the confidence we played with tonight."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Five straight Bryant points put the Black & Gold ahead 8-4, but it would be the largest margin until an ace from freshman Mia Cergol (East Northport, N.Y.) prompted a Red Flash timeout at 18-13. Back-to-back kills from sophomore Haley O'Brien (Milton, Mass.) closed out a 25-20 first-set win.
- Set 2 – The Red Flash were within two at 13-11 before a 7-1 Bulldog run gave Bryant control of the set. The final four Bryant points of the set came via kills, including two from redshirt-junior Sydney Gorski (Chagrin Falls, Ohio).
- Set 3 – Bryant hit .567 with no attack errors in the final set, earning 17 of its 25 points via kills. Seven Bulldogs recorded kills in the 25-12 set to close out the sweep.
- The eight attack errors in Bryant's .427 hitting percentage (46-8-89) were tied for the third-fewest in Bryant's Division I era.
- Kennedy is hitting .342 with 3.10 kills per set over her last six matches.
- O'Brien hit .615 with nine kills against one error and collected three blocks.
- Freshman Maggie Ryan (Bethesda, Md.) hit .467 with eight kills and one error with two blocks.
- Junior Alisi Motu'apuaka (Virginia Beach, Va.) recorded 23 assists while Cergol added 12 to help Bryant to its .427 hitting percentage.
- Cergol notched three aces and freshman Abby Rae (Walpole, Mass.) added two.
- Junior Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) recorded eight digs to improve to 1,239 for her career, 136 back of Kristin Kingi for Bryant's Division I program record.
- Bryant improves to 11-11 all-time against Saint Francis U.
Bryant continues a five-match stretch at the Chace Athletic Center when the Bulldogs host Merrimack Friday at 6 p.m. Tickets for Friday's contest and all 2019 home matches are available HERE.