SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University volleyball team hit .333 and held Merrimack to 14 total kills in a three-set win Friday night at the Chace Athletic Center.
Bryant hit over .300 for the third time in its last four matches as the Bulldogs improved to 5-1 in the NEC. Freshman Emma McGovern (Long Beach, N.Y.) collected 10 kills on a .500 hitting percentage in the win, while freshman Alysa Wright (Wayne, Pa.) added nine kills on a .636 hitting percentage.
Bryant 3, Merrimack 0 (25-10, 25-11, 25-15)
Records: Bryant (10-12, 5-1), Merrimack (1-11, 0-5)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Garlacy's Comments
"We stayed very focused on serve receive tonight and as a result were very efficient attacking. Alysa Wright played very aggressive both as an attacker and a blocker. Fellow freshmen Emma McGovern and Maggie Ryan also both hit over .400. We continue to work on serving tough and it's paying off."
How it Happened
- Set 1 – Merrimack was within 17-10 before Bryant closed out the set with the final eight points. Freshman Riley James (Pocasset, Mass.) notched three aces in that stretch including for the 25th point.
- Set 2 – Bryant hit .786 (11-0-14) in a dominant second set and added five aces, including three from junior Alisi Motu'apuaka (Virginia Beach, Va.). Sophomore Caroline Kennedy (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) and freshman Maggie Ryan (Bethesda, Md.) had three kills each.
- Set 3 – Merrimack was within 14-12 before Bryant rattled off a 10-0 run to force match point. Freshman Abby Rae (Walpole, Mass.) recorded three aces during the run. A kill from sophomore Jenna Knight (Scottsdale, Ariz.) closed out the victory.
- McGovern tallied 10 kills and seven digs and was in double figures in kills for the fourth time this season.
- Wright's nine kills were a career-high.
- Motu'apuaka recorded 19 assists and seven digs while freshman Mia Cergol (East Northport, N.Y.) added 10 assists.
- Bryant recorded 12 aces as a team and is averaging 2.32 aces per set at home this season.
- Junior Erika Ward (Rochester, Mich.) recorded six digs to improve to 1,245 for her career, 130 back of Kristin Kingi for Bryant's Division I program record.
- Bryant improves to 37-1 all-time against Merrimack and 2-0 in the Division I era.
Bryant continues a five-match stretch at the Chace Athletic Center when the Bulldogs host Sacred Heart Saturday at 6 p.m. Tickets for Saturday's contest and all 2019 home matches are available HERE.